Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
32 posts
18,179 visits

Retired Veteran Needs Help

Amazing Grace started this conversation
My name is Mike. I am a partially disabled retired veteran. I have financial problems and would like some free grants, loans, or donations to help take care of them. I need between $5,000 and $10,000. I will accept all donations of one kind or another until I reach my goal. Any funds after that will be returned. Hopefully within a year or two of satisfying these financial problems I will be in a position to help others. If you can help me out please send what you can to me at Michael Grace, 1525 Deer Tree Lane, Brandon, FL 33510. For more informatin you can contact me at the above address or email me at I would appreciate any help I can receive.
Click here to add your comment...
disable vet family homeless we are in need of emergency houseing and financial help clothing and personal hygine items my hours were cut at work
i am looking for a new job to bless my family we need your
help we lost all of our things in storage
Talk to piota
haiki   in reply to tort
The following information with regard to ‘Alimony reform’ explains how disabled veterans need to get involved to protect their property interests, because Connecticut legislators will not. Disabled veterans are now going to have to step up in order to be included as part of any proposed legislation to eliminate their alimony payments.
This ‘permanent alimony elimination’ being proposed in the Connecticut legislature is the latest insult to all veterans. This has caught the interest of David Conway of “Connecticut Alimony Reform” ( who replied to my message by asking, “Bill, Have you been in touch with any veterans in Connecticut who can tell their story. It would help the presentation to the Legislature if we had a person that could present these experiences.”
If perhaps you are a Connecticut disabled veteran receiving disability compensation, divorced, having to pay alimony from his or her disability compensation, and is willing to tell “their story” to Connecticut Alimony Reform Group, and the Connecticut legislature if required?
States such as Massachusetts, West Virginia, California legislators, as well as other states, due to the changing realities of family life, either proposed or passed that ‘permanent current alimony’ obligations be eliminated in alimony reform legislation.
Looking at these many State legislative proposals, and those ratified into law, one can only wonder, with all this legislative thinking going on, what happened? The subject of the disabled veteran’s VA disability compensation used as alimony, when is this alimony reform suppose to happen? This is something disabled veterans’ have tried to do for a very, very long time.
It is time now to propose similar alimony reform legislation for disabled veterans. Disabled veteran’s have the exact same issue. However, correcting improper legal rulings imposed on disabled veteran‘s is the issue, as much as it is reform. Why now? For the reasons that follow, according to law.
38 USC 5301 Nonassignability and exempt status of benefits. "Payments of benefits due or to become due under any law administered by the Secretary shall not be assignable except to the extent specifically authorized by law,.. a beneficiary shall be exempt from taxation, shall be exempt from the claim of creditors, and shall not be liable to attachment, levy or seizure by or under any legal or equitable process whatever, either before or after receipt by the beneficiary.
“It is well established that disability benefits are a protected property interest and may not be discontinued without due process of law. See Atkins v. Parker, 472 U.S. 115, 128 (1985); Mathews v. Eldridge, 424 U.S. 319, 332 (1976)”
“Due process”. How is it, that state court judges can arbitrarily and capriciously award as alimony, with the mere wave of a hand, waive away a portion of a veteran’s VA disability rated compensation? Moneys in the form of disability compensation, the disability rights of a veteran, whose disability rating that maybe determined and factored in as critical? Judgment as if all disabilities are exactly the same. State court judges, are in reality, playing doctor, without medical license or knowledge .. a practice forbidden, providing penalties by law , and border on medical negligence. All without any input, or approval from the Veterans Administration. Overstepping those whose authority it belongs, the dedicated VA medical professionals, in the practice of medicine, re-evaluation, and rehabilitation of the veteran. While at the same time violating federal law, 38 USC 5301, 42 USC 1408, and the 14th Amendment.
Ninth Circuit Says Congress, Not Courts, Have Say Over VA Health Care
Continually, State court judges disregard the law, as reduction in disability compensation cannot be “reduced unless an improvement in the veteran’s disability is shown to have occurred.” USC 1155 Authority for schedule for rating disabilities.
How are judges allowed the discretion to award as alimony disability compensation based on 'statutory' awards? Which are not predicated directly on the average reduction in earning capacity, but primarily upon consideration of noneconomic factors such as personal inconvenience, social inadaptability, or the profound nature of the disability. The purpose of the statutory award for loss or loss of use of a creative organ is to account for psychological factors.
“Clear and substantial” major damage to federal interests occurs when state court judges make lasting decisions, that seriously impact disabled veterans’ rated compensation and complicate Veterans Administration goals, and responsibilities. Upsetting, by overruling VA medical compensation decisions, which involve many hours of work that VA medical professionals have invested in the medical care, control, follow-up, and rehabilitation of disabled veterans. All this happens with VA complicity, when a state court, arbitrarily is allowed to take away a veterans VA disability compensation in third party alimony awards in violation of….. 38 USC 5301. 42 USC § 407 - Assignment of benefits, carries similar language.
Where is it written, the VA authority, when a state judge can arbitrarily overrule the VA, the VA medical doctors and other medical professionals’ that determine a veterans’ medical rating compensation? His future now without the compensation that was by law assured? Tax payer monies mandated by Congress purposely, as veterans service compensation for injuries received, life altering as they are, now being diverted purposely by state courts to healthy third parties in many cases, in a determined and engaging violation of the law. To allow what has been happening, was it the intent of Congress that state court judges substitute their judgment for the judgment of VA doctors and medical professionals? I don’t think so!
Where is it written? Will there be the same eagerness of Connecticut state legislators to extend this proposal and eliminate veterans disability compensation from alimony? Fight for your Connecticut disabled veterans.
Bill Heino Sr.

Talk to haiki
Lil Papa
My name is Rose in Killeen/ Ft. Hood, Tx, and I was the last to find out about my husband Kenneth was preparing to leave me and the kids alone.My mother died at the end of July, and was buried in August.About 2 weeks later, my husband, Kenneth, an Army Retired Disable Veteran left to go to California.He came back in about a week or so, but right after me and our oldest daught was in a serious accident on Nov. 1, his mother insisted that he come to visit again not carring at all about me and my daughter.I've been disable with Fibromyalgia since 2008, and the accident caused more pain with my back as well as my left knee.I really couldn't believe that when I texted him at work the next morning due to my servere pain,plus being my birthday, that he cursed me out.Finds out by one of his relative, the mother had told the whole entire family all over the states that she knows that Rose is not going to use this accident to keep him from going back to California.He actually sneaked out the house early the morning of the 5th without saying good bye to the kids, just started to spend money like crazy not thinking about bills and food for us.After pulling up my cell phone statement, I found out that he left to be with another woman which his family thought was so funny not thinking about the kids.I also have PTSD from my childhood as well as Major Depression after my dad past away in 2005.By him putting the kids in the middle, now I have to take the two girls to be seen by a Psychiatrist.And to top it all, he change his acctount for his money to be deposit in another bank where I have no access. Our mortgage as well as a lot of extra bills that he made hasn't been paid to this day.My ex- husband, who's retiring from the army now is writing to the congressional to have my son get station close to me. I've lost over 20lbs,I had to be rushed to the ER the day before Thanksgiving after my husband and his brother began mesing with my head.I really can't believe that he's doing this to me and especially the kids when right after he got hit with a bomb 14 Feb 09, he had his battle buddy to call me, not his mom or brother.Even though I deal with my disablilty which is very painful, I was always with him at every appointment, and taking care of him out of pure Love for him. I really need some help ASAP because the kids as well as myself don't want to lose our home or the only one vehichle that is running which he also went behind my back to refinace it in his name only.
Talk to Lil Papa
CDO7786883   in reply to annie46
thank you
Talk to CDO7786883
annie46   in reply to CDO7786883
SIR I amso sorry that this has happen to I personaly THANK YOU AND YOUR FAMILYS SACRIFICE I do want you to know Silver and Gold have I not But such as I have Five I unto thee You two be in my prayers znnie46
Talk to annie46










I AM A Combat Vet and had over 20 years of Honorable service and Never ask for anything .

I hope you can help us in some way.



303-818-7394 ////// 2001 east tropicana ave ,# 1068 las vegas,nv 89119
Talk to CDO7786883
I am also a veteran from the Navy. I retired 3 years ago and found myself with a mountain of debt. I could not find a job so I went back to work at the pizza shop where I worked before I joined the Navy. Since then I have depleted all my savings and my wifes. I could really use a hand getting out of this mess I am in. I have one hundred thousand in unsecured debt. I started with one hundred and fifty thousand. any help can be sent to David Gibson, PO Box 270, Clarksburg, Ohio 43115. Thank You.
Talk to Gibby
dogz71   in reply to dogz71
I can be reached at or at 32296 Robin Hoods Loop,Millsboro,De.19966
Talk to dogz71
dogz71   in reply to Veteran?
Hi, I am a veteran I was in the Armyfrom 1972 to 75, I am in a very finacial bind and I need help.A grant would be so welcomed for myself and my wife and I am on social security disability do to injuries I recieved at the job I had in Pa.almost 4 years ago.As I stated a grant would be the answer but I would even accept a loan and pay it back over time.I get so depressed at times I feel it time to end it all but I have alot to keep going in life but I am so far behind in finances it tearing my life apart.I need in between $8000.00 and $15,000.00 to get ny finances to where I can live everyday without worrying about whats next so please if or what is going to get shut off in my home or if they are going to repo my car or her car or whatever.Please if theres help out there for us I would accept anyway to recieve help Thanks from Vic
Talk to dogz71
My name is Arlo V Coker Jr. I am a diabled veteran, who served in the US Air Force. My wife can't work and I am the sole supporter of myself, my wife, and my daughter who lost her job and her three children. We've been renting a house in Philadelphia for the last seven years but my landlord and his wife are getting a divorce and I need help with moving expenses.
Talk to Ludlow
Veteran?   in reply to MikeDevonis
Get a job i guess
Talk to Veteran?
My name is Michael Devonis, I am a disabled Navy Veteran of 24 years. I have severe back and knee problems. I am in urgent need of money donations. As most Americans I am upside down on my mortgage and am on the brink of becoming homeless. If I can get out of this problem and back on my feet, I will help other veterans in need.
If you can send anything, even a small amount, it would be appreciated.. My address is 14006 Annhurst Court, Orlando, Fl 32826. Email me at Thank you so much. God Bless You.
Talk to MikeDevonis
I'm a disabled veteran also I have a family me my wife and four kids I'm in extreme need of finacial help I'm on the verge of getting evicted and other bills are building up I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety and adjustment disorder and all this is making my problems worse unable to provide for my family if there is anybody out there that can help please let me know I can be reached by text message only 2178838561
Talk to Bbaird
Good Morning All;

Well doing this as a last resort as I do NOT like having to ask for help with anything. My name is Shea, I'm a 40yr old OIF II vet living in SW FL. I am 70% Disabled (to be up at 100 this June) and have 4 kids. For some reason I seem to be a drama magnet. So here is the ordeal to date.

We currently live in a rental home that is in forclosure. We got served papers last monday showing the progress has been sped up. As of today, my utilities are $420 past due as is my cable and car insurance. I keep trying to get them under control but keep getting farther behind with each step. I am terrified that we are going to be forced to leave this house and we do not have the funds to move. Right now, I would rather be back in Baghdad fighting than having to deal with all of this. I have blown out knees, a metal plate on my hip, and PTSD, which makes my Class A license useless as I cannot repeatedly push in a clutch on trucks anymore.

As of now I am at my wits end. The VA is doing what they can but they are limited on what they can do. IF anyone has any ideas on where to go I would be appreciative. I don't want to be on the side of the road begging for funds so my family doesn't go hungry. I will resort to other means if that day comes. I saw a few others here putting up addresses for donations, not sure about all that but I guess trying anything once isn't bad. You can contact me at and I can give you an address if you wish to help out that way. Of course I won't complain about that LOL.

Be safe and God Bless
Talk to M1A2Tanker
My name is David B. Peterson i also am a homeless partially disabled veteran , after a wife abandonment in 1998 my three childre were able to stay in our home for only another 6 months, after a forclosure and bankruptcy in 2007 my credit and disablement has lefte living with friends and family. i am 66 years old and partially disabled making it almost impossible to find financing to restart my life. what i need in not a hand out but a hand. i am on social security at 1000 per month. but unable to find financing for a motor home of mused inexpensive value. this is my idea as to not as much capital to have housing. Need help to find financing . please help with help or ideas or avenues to recieve help. Thank you soo much. David B. Peterson or 218 616 0624
Talk to d-zone
old soldier
My name is Ernest Marshall I am a disabled army veteran. I am not the type of person to beg, but as of late I have found myself in dire financial straits. due to a injury I have found myself temporarily unable to work, and at this point my bills are over my head. Currently I am in danger of losing my apartment and car. Anything that anyone can spare would be greatly appreciated. Please send contact information along with any donations as I would like to personally thank and eventually repay any doners. My email address is, please send any donations to 6702 forest drive apt 22 fairfield Al 35064
Talk to old soldier
My name is Keith Fowler. I am a disabled Vietnam era Navy veteran. I have just lost my job through no fault of my own. I am in dire need of financial help. I am 57 years old and have been unable to find a job. My wife has just been diagnosed with cancer. We are behind on our bills and very little money left for anything. We are selling everything we can but we need help. Anything woud be appreciated until I can find work again. I promise to pay back everything but it may take time. Please send help to: Keith Fowler, 1497 Biggs Hwy, Rising Sun, Maryland 21911. I have never in my life asked for help before but desperately need it now. Thank you and God bless.
Talk to kf
Hi I never done this before but I am in dire need of help I am a disabled veteran from OIF and also on a fixed income but since the holidays have come I am unable to save enough to get my floors fixed and a couple of walls fixed I was able to get my roof fixed but everyone wants so much money and won't even work with you here where I live. Everytime I save my car breaks done or something. I have cried a many nights and I also have a pregnant daughter living with me who thank god has full grants for college. I live in Windsor virginia and everybody around here seems to need money and won't work with you. If I was able to do this work and buy the materials I would but my disabilities have prevented me from being able to do so. I have many ailments and my floors are dipping in I live in a trailer that is 25 years old but I have so much stress with the floors if someone would work with me I would appreciate it. Is there anyone who can either give advice on where I can go or what to do. Please I am desperate these days. I am not complaining or anything but I am not very good at things anymore since I have returned from deployment in 2006 I was injured not in combat but I was stationed in CP Buerhing, Kuwait. And ended up medavaced out to Fort Eustis, Virginia and I really need help. I can't do my job which was EMT ground ambulance NCOIC. They retired me on disability and I am at 90% from the VA. I loved my military career all 20 years of it. But now I am civilian and its hard. thank you for your time. My Name is Barbara Martinez
Talk to nvr4get911

Hey I found this while looking for assistance for one of our Patients, maybe you can use this too! best of luck to you

New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.

Community and Internet Resources

Community: Disabled Veteran Support


Please select a topic (or scroll down):
Benefits Assistance
Education Assistance
Employment Support
Entrepreneurship / Self Employment
Financial Assistance (General)
General Support
Health Care
Housing / Home Ownership Assistance
Injury Specific Organizations
Mental Wellness / Support Groups
Personal Experiences

While this page lists programs and services specifically for disabled veterans, our website offers numerous resources for those with disabilities. To locate support for your specific disability, check out our webpage on Support Groups and Disability Specific Organizations.

Benefits Assistance
Department of Veterans Affairs issues an annual guide that outlines available government benefits for veterans - Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents: 2009 Edition.

National Association of County Veterans Service Officers can help you connect with your local County Veterans Service Officer. Officers have a unique insight into the laws that govern Veterans Benefits and will apply their specialized knowledge to each individual veteran's needs.

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program provides free attorneys to veterans and their qualifying family members who have an appeal pending at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Benefits Claims. The website features a booklet entitiled Your Appeal for Veterans Benefits which answers common questions concerning the appeal process to obtain veterans benefits.

VA Watchdog provides the latest news coming out of the Veterans Administration as well as information on other topics of interest to veterans and their families. The site also offers extensive information on veterans benefits and appeals.

Veterans Benefits Administration offers links to numerous benefit options available to veterans, their spouses and children. Benefits are available for education, home purchases, vocational rehabilitation, life insurance and survivors.

VetsFirst is a program of United Spinal that provides veterans assistance and representation in claims for benefits and services before the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, other Federal and state agencies and legal representation before the U. S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.

Back to Top


Education Assistance
AFCEA Educational Foundation offers a variety of scholarships to Military Personnel, including the Disabled War Veterans Scholarship. This $2500 scholarship is awarded to post-9/11 veterans who sustained a disability in combat and who are currently enrolled in a degree program in one of the following areas - electrical, aerospace, systems or computer engineering; computer engineering technology; computer network systems; information systems security; computer information systems; information systems management; technology management; electronics engineering technology; computer science; physics; mathematics; or science or mathematics education. The application is available on the foundation website.
Adrian College: Operation Education - Adrian, Michigan - provides a full scholarship each year to one disabled American veteran who was injured during combat in Afghanistan or Iraq post September 11, 2001. This scholarship will pay for tuition and other fees throughout their enrollment at the college. To learn more, call (517) 264-3142.

Arkansas State University - Jonesboro: Beck Pride Center - Jonesboro, Arkansas - provides services to combat wounded veterans in an effort to assist them in accessing higher education, resources for counseling, personal rehabilitation, advocacy, and financial assistance. As part of this program ASU offers financial aid through the Governor Mike Beebe Veterans Fund Scholarship. To learn more about the Beck Pride Center, call (870) 972-2624.

Michigan State University - Lansing, Michigan - offers a Disabled Veteran's Assistance Program, which provides an aid package that covers full costs without loans, to new and returning undergraduate veterans with a military-related disability who are Michigan residents and working on their first baccalaureate degree. To learn more, contact the financial aid office at (517) 353-5940.

ThanksUSA provides college, technical and vocational school scholarships to the children and spouses of U.S. military personnel who have served full-time for at least 180 days since 9/11/01 and all those who have been either killed or wounded in action since 9/11/01. Applications are accepted on an annual basis and are typically due in May, prior to the start of the Fall Semester. For more information, call 1-877-THX-USAS (1-877-849-8727).

University of Idaho: Operation Education - Idaho - is the nation’s leading scholarship and assistance program for post 9/11 disabled military veterans and their spouses. Each individualized scholarship provides financial, academic and social support and resources – such as tuition, fees and books, on-campus housing, transportation, medical assistance, child care, adaptive equipment, tutoring and mentorship. To learn more, call (208) 885-5304 or e-mail

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Education Benefits is a webpage that outlines the various education benefits administered by the Department. Benefits include funds for higher education tuition, housing and books. To learn more, call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Back to Top


Employment Support
Always a Soldier, a program of the US Army Material Command, matches service-connected disabled veterans with civilian career opportunities throughout the Unites States. For more information, call (703) 806-8140 or e-mail
America's Veteran is a website of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management designed to educate Veterans on the Feberal Government's efforts to recruit and employ Veterans. This website provides information concerning the Veterans Hiring Preference, Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans, How Federal Jobs are Filled, assistance available for Veteran Education and Training, and much more.

Association for Service Disabled Veterans is a non-profit, public benefit organization with the goal of creating opportunities for service disabled veterans to achieve and maintain their rehabilitation through enterprise development and managed employment.

Disabled Veterans: Opportunities to Use Your Abilities is an informational website developed by the Department of Defense. Disabled Veterans can find information on programs and legislation that promote employment and educational opportunities for veterans with disabilities.

Disabled Veterans Services has a mission to train Service Related Disabled Veterans and place them in jobs with companies that encourage the hiring of disabled veterans. Training is offered via DVD. For more information, visit their website, e-mail them at or call them at (214) 679-6944.

Job Opportunities for Disabled American Veterans is an online job database that posts jobs from employers that have an expressed interest in hiring disabled veterans. The site also offers helpful articles on such topics as resume and cover letter development, preparing for the interview and much more.

US Deparment of Labor offers several programs for disabled veterans:

America's Heroes at Work focuses on the employment challenges of returning service members living with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and/or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). While this project is primarily aimed at employers, the website offers a number of links for returning service members and their families.

Career One-Stop: Key to Career Success connects veterans and transitioning service members with high quality career planning, training, and job search resources available at local One-Stop Career Centers. Via their website they offer resume writing resources and tools, a career match assessment, links to job databases and much more.

REALifelines offers personalized employment-related support to wounded soldiers. Professionals stationed at the Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval Hospitals meet personally with each wounded veteran to help him/her find the right career path to suit his or her special needs and provide insight into the processes of choosing job training opportunities and career paths. Via their online REALife Advisor they offer links to local resources that can help you find and prepare for a new job, learn about accommodations needed to continue your current job, benefits and support services and more. To contact your REALifeLines representative, call 1-888-774-1361.
VetSuccess is a program of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that assists veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. The program also provides online resources that can assist with resume and cover letter development, interview preparation and more. To learn how to qualify for the services provided through this program, visit the VetSuccess website.

Back to Top


Entrepreneurship / Self Employment
Disabled Veterans Associations via their Veterans Entrepreneurial Training Seminars (VETS) provides guidance to Veterans that hope to start their own small business, or those who already own a business. Seminars feature speakers from SBA (Small Business Administration) and SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives). Seminars are always free and take place throughout the United States. To learn more, visit DVA online or call (866) 331-1944.
Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities (EBV) provides experiential training in entrepreneurship and small business management to post-9/11 veterans that sustained disabilities while in service. The EBV program is offered by a network of six institutions, including:

The Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University
UCLA Anderson School of Management
Florida State University's College of Business
Mays Business School at Texas A&M
The Krannert School of Management at Purdue University
The University of Connecticut School of Business
All costs to attend the program, including travel expenses, lodging, meals, and the cost of the program itself, are covered by the school. Admission to the program is competitive and you must complete an application to be considered. To learn more, visit the Bootcamp website, call (315) 443-6007/6899 or e-mail

Small Business Administration via their Office of Veterans Business Development offers specialized programs aimed specifically at service-disabled veterans.

VetBiz is a Veteran Resource Information web site designed to assist veteran entrepreneurs who want to start and expand their businesses in the Federal and private marketplace. This site provides up to the minute information from the Federal Government as it pertains to Service Disabled and Veteran Owned Small Businesses. For more information, call (866) 584-2344 or e-mail

The Veterans Corporation, established by Congress under Public Law 106-50, provides Veterans and Service-Disabled Veterans access to the tools needed to become successful business owners. They offer a variety of trainig opportunities and have established national partnerships to assist veterans in their business ventures. To learn more, call (202) 349-0860 or e-mail

Back to Top


Financial Assistance
Please be certain to also review the resources under General Support, as many organizations within this category offer various financial assistance programs.

American Legion, The offers a Temporary Financial Assistance (TFA) program aimed at keeping the children of deceased or disabled veterans at home rather than in institutions. The TFA fund has been used to assist families in meeting the costs of shelter, food, utilities and health expense items when the parents are unable to do so. To learn more, contact your local Legion Post or visit The American Legion website.

Coalition to Salute America's Heroes provides Emergency Financial Aid to wounded veterans. Emergency relief will cover expenses such as, utility bills — gas, electric, water, cable, internet, and phone service, car payments, new car deposits, car repair costs, and gasoline, mortgage and rent payments, home repairs, groceries, school supplies and clothing, and medical bills and co-payments. For more information, call (914) 432-5400.

Disabled Veteran National Foundation provides financial assistance in the form of a cash grant to disabled veterans. Funds can be used towards costs for housing (i.e., rent or deposit) or associated expenses such as utilities essential to operating the home (i.e., water, electricity, & gas), to purchase essential food items, for travel where permanent or long-term lodging has been secured, to strengthen or expand needed services, or to purchase items to improve living conditions. To learn more about their eligibility criteria, call (888) 782-2148.

Operation First Response provides financial assistance to families of wounded servicemembers. Financial aid is provided for mortgage, rent and utility payments, vehicle payments, groceries, clothing, and transportation to medical facilities. For more information, call (888) 289-0280.

Rebuild Hope is a national organization that provides post 9/11 veterans with service connected disabilities temporary financial assistance in the form of grants and no interst loans. Very specific criteria exists. To learn more visit their website, e-mail or call (650) 321-4930.

Semper Fi Fund provides financial aid to Marines and Sailors as well as members of the Army, Air Force and Coast Guard who have served in support of Marine forces in post 9/11 combat. Financial support varies and can include: relief for needs that arise during hospitalization and recovery, such as childcare, travel expenses for families and other necessities; the purchase of adaptive transportation, home modifications and specialized equipment, such as wheelchairs, audio/visual equipment for the blind, and software for traumatic brain injuries; education, job placement and therapeutic programs. To learn more, e-mail

Veteran Love, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was founded to assist our wounded and disabled service men and women. Via their Veteran Love and Appreciation Fund they provide "emergency" financial support to those veterans who qualify as well as access to professional counselors qualified to help those with PTSD. Visit their website for more information or call (305) 673-2856.

Back to Top


General Support
American Legion, The provides assistance to severly injured servicemen and women via their Heroes to Hometown program. Through this program, servicemembers can receive temporary financial assistance, pro-bono financial planning, housing assistance, home and vehicle adaptation and government claims assistance. To learn more, e-mail or call (202) 263-5761.
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) is a non-profit organization that offers free assistance to veterans in obtaining benefits and services earned through their military service. Services include transition assistance, disability evaluation and benefits claim assistance, homeless veterans assistance and much more. Contact DAV at (877) 426-2838 to learn how they can assist you. offers links to helpful veterans organizations and offers information on the range of assistance and programs available to disabled veterans.

Disabled Veterans Associations (DVA) provides a free crisis helpline to provide veterans and their family members with crisis intervention, emotional support, community referrals, and educational information. The helpline is available by calling 1-866-331-1944. DVA also offers periodic Veterans Entrepreneurial Training Seminars (V.E.T.S.) for veterans looking to start their own small business, or those who already own a business. Via their Helping and Assisting Veterans in Emergency (H.A.V.E.) they work with county service officers and other agencies to assist veterans on a short-term basis.

Enable America via their VetConnect program assists wounded and disabled veterans re-acclimate to their communities and, ultimately, to the workforce. One aspect of this program pairs recently wounded veterans with similarly wounded peer mentors who have completed or are completing the recovery process. They also connect veterans to agencies and organizations that can help them adapt everyday routines to their disability, enable them to further their education or vocational training, help them secure jobs with government and private employers, or return to active duty. While based in Tampa, Florida, VetConnect assists veterans throughout the United States. To learn more, call Enabled American at (813) 222-3212.

Helping a Hero offers a range of support services to servicemembers injured during the war on terror, including mentorships that provide one-on-one advice for careers, family issues, resources, etc., opportunities to connect with support groups for periodic, social or educational gatherings, financial assistance to cover unexpected expenses not covered by other means, opportunities to participate in sporting events, and educational grant assistance to heroes and/or their children. To learn more about any of these opportunities, call (888) 786-9531.

Keeping It All Together is a 151-page guide developed by the Department of Defense for wounded, ill, and injured, service members and their families. This guide identifies numerous resources available to wounded veterans and also provides advice for families and caregivers as well as information on legal and money matters and instructions on how to keep a medical journal.

Military Home Front: Special Needs/Exceptional Family Member Connections program is now on the Military Home Front website under Troops and Families: Special Needs. This program provides information on services and resources available to military families with special medical or educational needs. More specifically, the website features resources and information on financial issues, legal issues, medical care, education and family support. Members of the network can also contact other military families with special needs to share solutions to common problems. For more information, visit this website.

Military Warriors Support Program offers a variety of support programs and financial assistance to servicemembers injured during active duty. Support includes, educational scholarships, job retraining and placement, financial assistance in instances of pressing emergency financial situations, recreational opportunities, cost-free individual and family counseling services. Additional programs include the Host a Family Program, which is designed to provide families of injured soldiers help through practical solutions and the Labrador Adoption Program, which provides a loving companion to aid in stress relief for soldiers as they decompress from PTSD, TBI and other brain injuries. For more information, call (210) 615-8973.
National Military Family Association offers information to families of servicemen and women. More specifically, they offer information on resources and programs related to health care, education, employment, available benefits and much more. They also offer Operation Purple Camp, a week-long, overnight camp for military children (aged 7-17). To learn more about this opportunity, e-mail

National Resource Directory is an online partnership for wounded, ill and injured servicemembers, Veterans, their families and those who support them. The Directory provides access to more than 10,000 services and resources at the national, state and local levels that support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration. Information is provided on such topics as benefits, education, employment, health, housing and more.

Stand Up For Veterans is an advocacy campaign of the Disabled American Veterans. Its purpose is to generate greater public awareness and support for strengthening federal policies that provide health care assistance to disabled veterans.

US ARMY Disabled Soldier Support System (DS3) provides its severely disabled Soldiers and their families with a system of advocacy and follow-up with personal support to assist them as they transition from military service to the civilian community. DS3 also monitors soldiers beyond their medical retirement in order to provide ongoing assistance. To learn more about this service, call (800) 833-6622

US Veteran Information (USVI), a non-government website, has a mission to help U.S. Veterans find information and help where needed. This website offers helpful links and articles, information on post traumatic stress disorder, a list of VA facilities and much more.

Wounded Warrior Project, based in Jacksonville, Florida, provides programs and services to severely injured active service members and their families during the critical time between their initial rehabilitation while on active duty and their eventual transition to civilian life. Their work begins at the bedside of the severely wounded, where they provide comfort items and necessities, counseling, and support for families. They help to speed rehabilitation and recovery through adaptive sports and recreation programs, raising patients' morale, and exposing them to the endless possibilities of life after an injury. Finally, they provide a support mechanism for those who have returned home by providing outreach and advocacy on issues like debt and disability payments that will affect their families' future. For more information, visit their website or call (904) 296-7350.

Back to Top


Health Care
Healing Heroes Network provides free quality medical care to the men and women of the armed forces injured in the line of duty on or after 9/11/01. They have developed a nationwide network of medical professionals willing to provide services free of charge, for services not covered, or delayed under the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs benefits system. To learn more, call (877) 470-HERO (4376).

My HealtheVet is VA’s award–winning e–health Website, which offers Veterans, active duty service members, their dependents and caregivers access to VA health care information and services. Registered Veterans can access informatio on current benefits, record and track health history, refill prescriptions, and more. Registration is free.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Hardship Veterans Outreach provides assistance to veterans that are facing a financial hardship (such as a recent job loss). Vets that may not have qualified for VA Health Benefits in the past may be approved under the VA's Medical Care Hardship program. To learn more, call 1-877-222 VETS (8387).

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Health Care links veterans to important health-related information and resources. More specifically Vets can be linked to benefits information, health and wellness resources (ie. dental care, mental wellness, suicide prevention, etc.), medical facilities, patient advocacy programs, and more.

Back to Top


Housing / Home Ownership
Department of Veterans Affairs: Loan Guaranty Home Loan Program facilitates, through a network of lenders, home loans to veterans and unmarried surviving spouses of veterans who died on active duty or as the result of a service-connected disability. To learn more, contact your Regional Loan Center.

Available in San Diego, CA Only - Green Beach builds energy efficient, barrier free homes for disabled Veterans. To learn more, call (619) 260-1700.

Helping a Hero via their Wounded Hero Home Program, builds specially adapted homes for severly wounded servicemen and women. Homes are placed in planned communities where veterans will be surrounded by stable families. The homes, which are often valued at about $250,000, are sold to Veterans for $50,000. Veterans must sign an agreement to remain in the home for 10 years. To qualify, veterans must be a minimum of 30% Permanently Disabled and have been injured during Operation Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom. To learn more or to download an application, visit the Wounded Hero Home Program website or call (888) 786-9531.

Homes for Our Troops is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization committed to helping the men and women of our armed forces who have selflessly given to their country and have returned home with serious disabilities and injuries. They assist severely injured Servicemen and Women and their immediate families by building specially adapted homes or adapting an existing home for handicapped accessibility. For more information on eligibility and application procedures, visit their website or call (866) 787-6677 (866-7-TROOPS).

Available in Reno, NV Only - Project Compassion takes foreclosed properties in the Reno area, fixes them up and sells them at a very low-cost to disabled veterans. To qualify, veterans must: (1) not currently own a home; (2) be 50-100% disabled as recognized by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs; (3) have a Minimum income of at least $18,000 (combined or single); and (4) have sustained a disability in combat after 9/11/01. To learn more, call (775) 825-6044 or e-mail

Rebuilding Together, via their Veterans Housing program, assists veterans with the cost of home repair and adaptations. To learn more, call 1-800-473-4229.

Available in Raleigh, NC Only - Stanton Homes® for Heroes offers Veterans and Active Armed Forces service members a 3% discount on any new home built by Stanton Homes in Raleigh, North Carolina. This new home discount applies to anyone who has served in the Armed Forces for one year or more, whether now in the military, retired, a veteran or honorably discharged. This includes personnel from the Coast Guard, Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force, as well as National Guard and Reserves. For more information on the Stanton Homes® for Heroes program, including details on discounts available through partners, call 919-278-8070.

United States Department of Veterans Affairs offers several different types of grants to seriously disabled veterans for the purposes of building or adapting a home to accommodate their disabilities. For more information on any of the grant programs listed below, contact your local VA office at 1-800-827-1000.

Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grant offers service-connected veterans up to $4,100 and non-service connected veterans up to $1,200 for any home improvement necessary for the continuation of treatment or for disability access to the home and essential lavatory and sanitary facilities. A veteran may receive both a HISA grant and either a SHA or SAH grant.

Specially Adapted Housing Grant Program provides grants up to $60,000 (as of October 2008) to veterans or servicemembers who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to: (a) The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities, (b) Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity, (c) The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with (1) residuals of organic disease or injury, or (2) the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity, (d) The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude use of the arms at or above the elbows or (e) A severe burn injury.

Special Housing Adaptations Grant provides up to $12,000 (as of October 2008) to Veterans or servicemembers who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to: (a) Blindness in both eyes with 5/200 visual acuity or less, or (b) The anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands, or (c) A severe burn injury.
United States Department of Veterans Affairs: Loan Guaranty Home Loan Program works with lenders to provide Veterans with favorable home financing options. To learn more, contact your Regional Loan Center.

Back to Top


Injury Specific Organizations
American Veterans with Brain Injuries is an online peer support network for veterans with brain injuries and their family members.
Blinded Veterans Association is an organization of blinded veterans helping blinded veterans. Via their Field Service Program, "field reps" assist newly blinded veterans in locating local resources, working with the VA, filing claims, and preparing for work. They also offer Operation Peer Support, through which they link combat-blinded veterans of World War II, Korea, and Vietnam with newly blinded veterans who have been wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan. To learn more, call (800) 669-7079 or e-mail

Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center (DVBIC) serves active duty military, their dependents and veterans with traumatic brain injury (TBI) through state-of-the-art medical care, innovative clinical research initiatives and educational programs. For more information, call (800) 870-9244 or e-mail Veterans Blog, while developed as an informational and advertising source by the lawfirm of James F. Early, LLC, provides useful information concerning Veterans healthcare, asbestos exposure and treatment of this cancer.

Mesothelioma Web: Information for Veterans provides information and resources specifically aimed at Veterans, including Veterans Affairs assistance. This site can also help veterans identify whether or not they may have been exposed during their military service.

National Center For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder conducts research to better understand PTSD. This website offers vast amounts of information for Veterans and their families concerning PTSD. More specifically, they offer information on Types of Trauma, Diagnosis and Assessment, Treatment and Coping, Common Reactions, Related Problems, and Family, Children, and Relationships.

Paralyzed Veterans of America, with chapters throughout the United States, works to maximize the quality of life for its members and all people with spinal cord injury (SCI). PVA offers free benefits and medical counseling as well as a variety of sports and recreational opportunities and events. They also advocate for paralyzed veterans rights and accessible design among other issues. For more information, or to locate a chapter near you, call (800) 424-8200.

Back to Top


Mental Wellness / Support Groups
After Deployment is an online mental wellness resource for Service Members, Veterans, and Military Families to help them adjust to life after deployment. This site offers a wellness self-assessment survey, expert advice, self-help workshops, and vast amounts of information on dealing with depression, improving personal relationships, succeeding at work, dealing with physical injuries, and much, much more.
Disabled Iraq Veterans and Affected Spouses is a new online support group for spouses and significant others of disabled iraq veterans. It is a place in which visitors can discuss the issues they are facing in caring for or living with a disabled veteran.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Veteran Resources offers information specifically for veterans and their families. This site will help veterans locate mental health and substance abuse services.

Wounded Warriors Family Support, based in Nebraska, provides support to the families of those who have been wounded, injured or killed during combat operations. More specifically, they sponsor week-long getaways for soldiers and their families in Orlando, Florida and Galveston, Texas. To learn more, visit their website or call (402) 502-7557.

Back to Top


Personal Experiences
American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial is a website chronicling the development of a memorial in honor of the servicemen and women permanently injured in combat. The website features "Stories of Honor," a section that shares the experiences of those injured.
Back to Top

For more on the topic of Community:
Community and Internet Resources / Editorials / FAQ / Library and Research: News Publications and Media

If you have questions or ideas, information and solutions that you would like to share with us, you may contact us by e-mail at: or to use our NHU E-Mail Form or NHU Community Discussion Board, click on the links below.

Home / Disability News / NHU Quarterly Newsletter
Share Your Knowledge! / NHU Community Discussion Board / E-mail Us
About NHU / Announcements and Features / Contribute / What's New? / Site Plan

© Copyright 2008-2010 New Horizons Un-Limited Inc.
[Updated October 31, 2010]
NHU has no liability for content or goods on the Internet.

Talk to lyonstar7
 in response to boogangan...   Contact your local DAV (disabled american veteran assoc.). They have vans to transports vets to hospital visits & dr. appointments.
Talk to Anonymous40784